Thursday, July 2, 2015

Here comes the sun....

Well I'm back again. Apologies once again for the sporadic nature of my posting. I promise I'll endeavour to post more regularly, though I sense a touch of déjà vu as I write those words.
Anyway school's out and salad days are here again. We were promised a heat wave this week here in Ireland though it's been more of the heat and less of the wave. Basically it's been warm and muggy and getting the grass cut means a bit of a dash to get it done before the showers. Now I've always found humid weather a bit intolerable, but this is the first time I've experienced this weather as a diabetic and it has been a bit of a revelation. Last summer was my first as a person with diabetes but whole there was some nice weather there wasn't much of the humidity that we've been experiencing this past week.
It didn't dawn on me at first. I've been experiencing quite a few hypos over the past few days and had been struggling to understand why. I'd figured that maybe I need to alter by basal dosage and was all set to do so last night until I stumbled upon a post on a diabetes Facebook page. I had totally overlooked the possible impact of the change in weather until I read a post in which a chap spoke about the many hypos he'd been experiencing during the heat wave in London.
Now don't get me wrong; it hasn't exactly been tropical here in Ireland but I reckon there's been enough heat and humidity in the air to play tricks on my bg levels. It leaves me wondering how I'll get on when we visit the in laws in New York at the end of July.
So why the hypos? Well it seems that our metabolism is higher in this weather with an increased chance of low bg levels. It also seems that hypos can be a bit hard to detect in hot weather; something I've also been experiencing during the past week.
So what to do? If you're carb counting maybe you cold adjust your ratio slightly though I guess that's a bit hit and miss unless you've a good idea exactly how much your levels are affected by the heat. Otherwise I guess it's about being vigilant. Test bg levels more often, keep fast acting carbs close at hand and don't ignore any possible symptoms. Also take care when driving and keep the air conditioning on as cars can get quite hot. I'd also suggest taking a few carbs before going to bed as I've experienced hypos at 3 or 4 a.m. almost every night this week.
Other than that, enjoy the sun and don't let the beets spoil the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.