Sunday, December 1, 2013

Time for a few drinks

Almost seven weeks have passed since my diagnosis and, thus far, I've been a very good little boy! An A1 model student (well, almost) I'd say. As you'll have gathered from my previous post I've made big changes in my lifestyle and the proof is in the low-carb unsweetened pudding. My levels have stabilised and have been broadly within range (I believe my assigned nurse actually used the phrase 'very impressive'; apologies for the self-congratulation!) and I'm now a slimmer, healthier and fitter me.
Of course one aspect of my new lifestyle has been the absence of alcohol. It has probably been my longest period of abstinence since I first discovered the joys of the grain and the grape, but it hasn't actually been all that difficult. I should point out that my exile from the world of the watering hole was pretty much self-imposed. I wasn't told to abstain from booze but, as any of you who have diabetes will know, the heady mix of carbs and alcohol can set the blood-sugar levels on bit of a roller coaster. So for that reason, coupled with my get healthy drive I refrained from drinking for a period.
Last night marked my return to the pub. I was a little apprehensive and expected my levels to go a bit awry but I'm happy to report that everything went just fine. My usual tipple of Guinness was replaced by a few glasses of red wine (my alcohol-carb feature will follow shortly), checked my levels at the appropriate times and took a light post-drinks snack. My morning reading? 6.8, thank you very much!
The alcohol-insulin-glucose relationship is a complex dynamic and one that I hope to explore in a later post. But a few glasses of merlot and a 6.8 reading is pretty good for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.