Saturday, November 23, 2013

Getting on with it...

So it’s just over a month now since my diagnosis. In yet another twist of politically correct folly, I’m apparently not ‘diabetic’, rather a ‘Person With Diabetes’ (PWD). That it matters not a jot doesn’t appear to bother those who become quite exercised at having to point out that “actually it’s ‘person with diabetes’ nowadays. The ignomy of not seeing beyond one’s condition!
So I think I’ll go with ‘guy with diabetes’. It’s got a bit of a ring to it, don’t you think? GWD. Yep, I’ll take that for now.
How was I diagnosed? Well it’s pretty straightforward really. None of the classic weight loss and fatigue in my case, though I did develop that thirst that’s oft spoken about.
Basically I started going to the toilet…going back to the toilet…and then some. At first I’m thinking kidney infection. Let it slide for the moment and see what happens. Then I’m feeling a bit dehydrated and I’m thinking that all that passing urine from my kidney infection has me dehydrated. I’m sipping on water and find that I’ve a bit of a craving for chilled yogurt. Passing water?..a slightly odd craving?…I couldn’t be, could i? nah, surely not…pregnant!!?? In hindsight the passing water and dehydration has become a bit of a chicken and egg conundrum; which came first? Either way I’m still thinking kidney infection.
However, after a day or two I’m getting a bit concerned. I’m not developing any other symptoms that one might associate with a kidney infection, or even with pregnancy for that matter! Now I’m beginning to suspect diabetes as the culprit. I’d heard (most likely on one of the many health related tv shows) of symptoms such as thirst and frequent urinating. Time to see the doc.
So at the surgery I’m greeted by a member of One Direction, or at least that’s who the rookie locum appeared like to me. Following a urine sample and a prick test (from which he deduced that I am indeed a prick!) the young fella asked me had I any thoughts myself about what the problem was. Eh, isn’t that what I pay you for?, I thought to myself. I told him that I feared it might be diabetes. His confirmation that my suspicions were well founded and that I needed to get myself to the local hospital ASAP left me in no doubt that this was quite serious.
A coupe of days in hospital saw my blood glucose levels stabilised and introduced me to the regime of monitoring and injecting, a regime which will continue for the rest of my life and from which there’ll be no respite; no holidays or bank holidays or lazy days. This is it from now on; 24/7, 365.

Join me as I keep you posted on my own personal journey with diabetes and as I explore the many facets of getting along with diabetes. I hope this will be of interest to those both with diabetes and those without. Talk soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.